Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Socktoberfest Sock History

I've been wanting to answer these questions that Lolly posted on her blog for Socktoberfest and hopefully Blogger will cooperate.

When did you start making socks?
My first pair of socks were made back in Sept 2003, but I dont really count them. They are tube socks that I knit up for #1 Son and then a couple more for a friend of mine's little girls (which btw they STILL wear!! They apparently make great bed socks)




They ARE socks, tube socks to be exact, but I dont really count them as TRUE socks (the kind with a heel). My first TRUE sock is this pair.

Aren't they cute?? I made them in March of 2005.

Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
I taught myself with the book Knit a Dozen Baby Socks by Edie Eckman. I was working at JoAnn's at the time and really wanted to try a pair of socks. I'd seen patterns in the different magazines I had but they seemed SO involved. I wanted to try something easy and while I was putting away some other knitting books I came across the baby socks. PERFECT!


What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?
I'm not sure how they've held up since I made them for my nephew when he was first born, but since they were made out of acrylic and he wasnt walking when they fit, I bet they still look great!

What would you have done differently?
Nothing. I made the ankle a bit tighter than I would have liked, and I did use acrylic yarn, but overall I was really happy with them. I havent made that many socks, but each one is a learning experience. Do I like these needles? Would I change the size of the needle for this yarn? Would I use this yarn again?

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
Well I havent made that many yet plus I tend to make a couple with the same type of yarn. I do like Cascade Fixation and I also liked the way the Lionbrand Magic Stripes knit up. HOWEVER my stash has lots of yummy sock yarns that I can't wait to try......Lorna's Laces, Koigu, some hand dyed wool.....and some Knit Picks essential. I'm an equal opportunity sock yarn person! However I'm not sure I'd make many socks with acrylics for adults. Its GREAT for babies and moms who dont want to have to hand wash ANYTHING.

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
I knit them using 4 dpns. I've tried bamboo and even Onyx dpns, but they dont slide enough for me. So I'm very happy with my Susan Bates.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
I've only done a flap and since I'm happy with it for now, will continue using it. However I do see myself trying short rows eventually.

How many pairs have you made?
I've only made 8 pair, but it seems like more! Guess because you make 2 for each pair and 16 seems more like it!! And I've made more in the past recent weeks than when I started so I hope to be cranking out more and more as we go along!! It's KALs like this one that keeps me motivated on the socks.

2 comments:

Dee said...

I LOVE those purple and white tube socks. That is a really cool color!

stitcherw said...

The colors of the tube socks were great, I can see why they would still be getting used. I got a note from the post office that I had a package to pick up, so....I'll be getting my new sock kniting book tomorrow. Maybe I'll actually get my one sock finished so I can have a set. :)
Maybe I could actually get it done before you finish the pair for #1 son and the second pair for baby girl, but I'm not going to bet on it.
Sue