Saturday, December 30, 2006

Shopping Therapy

As usual, it's been hectic. I've had to go back to work this past week, but instead of my in laws coming out to watch the kids, I had to have my babysitter stay with the rugrats. They had a great time, even though it was much more expensive for me. I've been especially stressed because of all that's been going on (working, chaotic house, running errands WITH kids, Samson) and what's coming up (trip to Key Largo for SIL's wedding). THANKFULLY I don't have to go back to work until Jan 8th. WOOHOO!!! I like my job, they are FANTASTIC when it comes to my schedule, but it's still one more thing that has to be done in the day.

So today I got in the car and went shopping. BY MYSELF!!..

First stop, JoAnn's. They were having a good sale and I was in need of some touch therapy. Feeling the fabrics and yarns has such a soothing effect on me. Touching the flannels, the cordouroys, the satins. The smell of the books, the feel of the yarns. I didn't buy as much as I could have, there is so much at home that I want to do, so I just bought for projects I had in mind. That being said I bought some yarn for a CIC sweater.

It's a bit blurry but you get the idea of the colors. They also had Paton's Classic Wool on sale 40% off and I had some of that in my cart as well, but I put it back. I got a *little* less wool for the same price as the Paton's but I really love the color combinations. I think it will make a fun sweater for a kid who is in desperate need for one.

Next project in my mind is to finally start working on #1 Son's quilt again. I was planning a much more complicated one for him, but I'm realizing that I need to simplify it if I want to get it done. So it will be just simple patchwork of novelty prints and blue squares. I have some blue fabric at home, but you know how that goes.......

You have to add to the pile!! LOL Fabrics were on sale at a great price so I got more blues to add to what I have. I was hoping to get some of their clearance fabrics, but they were SOO picked over!! Apparently not one but TWO quilting guilds were there that AM and bought a LOT of the bargain fabric (which is still really nice since the majority of it is just discontinued, past season fabrics) and the batting. I used to work for JoAnn's and KNOW the amount of quilters we have in the area so it must have been VERY busy at the cutting table earlier today!

Now that I have these blues to add to what I already have in my stash, hopefully I will get this quilt done before the end of next year. His toddler quilts just aren't cutting it anymore.

To round things out, I also picked this up using my coupon.

It was a quick grab as I walked by the mags, but I'm interested in reading abt the socks using any yarn.

Stop #2 was the local mall. I had a few things to return and a few more things I needed to buy. Did pretty well, but not as much as I had hoped. I'm putting together a gift bag for my SIL and her fiance and I'm having so much fun doing it!! And the kids decided that they wanted to make their own wedding cards which turned out really cute. I will spend tomorrow organizing everything and making sure that last minute details are taken care of. Monday will be packing. We will leave Tues AM, early enough to still be morning, but late enough to avoid traffic. Key Largo is abt a 5 hour drive according to Map Quest so I will have some time to knit or stitch.

Speaking of knitting, I'm still plugging away on the scarf for the Red Scarf Project (see sidebar for more info). And I've worked some more on Maggie. I think she'll be coming down with me as well so hopefully I will get a good section done on her.

Last but not least, my Saturday Sky......

That light blob is the moon. I didn't take one before I hit the stores and came back when it was dark! Now THAT's a good day of shopping!!

4 comments:

Jane said...

Sometimes you just HAVE to get away. Looks like you had a great time. Have fun at the wedding, and enjoy your trip.

stitcherw said...

Sounds like a great day of shopping, a really good mental health/me time day. The yarn looks like it will be fun colors to work with, and I love the blues for the quilt.
Sue

Anonymous said...

Cool (solo) shopping trip!!

Diane said...

shopping is great therapy for sure!