Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Boy do I cut it close!!

I've been working on my Lorna's Laces socks all wknd long because I want to finish them before the month is over. It's starting to warm up here so I wont be able to wear them much longer, plus I want to have a posting for both SAM3 and the Sock It To Em KAL. After I finished the 1st sock, I weighed what was left in the skein to see if I had enough to start sock #2. The scale said yes, but what would reality say??

Here I am before I start the toe on sock #2


Did you see how much yarn I had left?!? Here's a close up....


So I'm telling myself not to panic because the scale said that I had enough. Plus I still had an entire skein of the same color that I could break into if need be.....

Here are the finished socks.


Aren't they pretty??



But did I make it??


WOOHOO I did!! But as you can tell, just barely!! I think that's abt a yard of yarn left. As that ball of yarn kept getting smaller and smaller I was getting a bit nervous, why I dont know. Like I said I have an entire skein of yarn that I could have broken into.

Now details......

I used Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sport in Motherlode. Using size 2dpns I cast on 56 stitches, worked a 2x2 rib for 4" and plain stst for another inch before I started the heel. I'm really surprised I could make a 5" cuff sock with just one skein of yarn.

I'm so happy they are done. They fit really well and I really enjoyed using that yarn. Now to cast on some socks for CIC to include with the sweater/vest I made. The deadline for that is March 31. Kid socks with worsted weight yarn, yep I should make that deadline!

7 comments:

Dee said...

The socks look great!!! I didn't realize you can get a pair out of ONE skein.

I always use two and then have leftovers. I may give one skein a try.

stitcherw said...

Love the socks, they look fun and comfy. You did great on the yarn, talk about cutting it close.
Sue

ADHD Mom said...

Lynn, I have totally been lurking and have been so impressed with your knitting abilities~ The socks are beautiful. So when will you come to my neck of the woods and help me knit? We have a knitting group at my house Sunday nights at 8:30.

Stacy said...

Those are gorgeous, Lynn!

Diane said...

Well at least you don't have to worry about what to do with the left over yarn .... there isn't any! Boy that was close! The colorways is beautiful.

Susie said...

Yesssss!!! What an amazing finish - I totally feel the anxiety as you got closer, closer, closer...LOL

They look wonderful - great colorway.

Julie said...

Beautiful socks!