Reading Rainbow

I've noticed that a lot of bloggers are also readers. So am I. However I notice that WHAT we read are usually VERY different. The lists of books that are posted on the sidebars are usually very politically driven, very literary driven or the *classics*.

I got my share of the *classics* in high school. The Old Man and the Sea just about shut the brain down from boredom. And I was never a big fan of Shakespeare. I remember reading Catch 22 and The Catcher In The Rye in the 8th grade and thinking I was SO grown up (after all, how else would I be allowed to read books with the "F" word in it??) I did enjoy The Scarlett Letter (a classic I could actually re-read). Crime and Punishment started out good, but once the crime was committed on page 87 and the rest of the 500 pages was abt his tortured soul, ugh.

I say all of this because a lot of what I read now is fluff. Cheesy romance novels. Light mysteries. Dr Seuss. I read to relax. I KNOW life is hard. I read a lot of articles on line and in newspapers. But when I read at night, I read to relax. Not to expand my mind. My mind couldn't handle the pressure.

So when I was in Wal-Mart looking at the magazines, a book caught my eye, Hitched by Carol Higgins Clark (this would fall into the light mysteries category). She's the daughter of Mary Higgins Clark (I'm a big fan of hers as well) and she's a nice light read. I usually get my books from the library, but I've been in the mood to read a fun novel so I snatched it up. I'll let you know how it goes.

Meanwhile I finished up another skein of acrylic. With this afghan, I am finding out that there are many different kinds of acrylic. Red Heart is one of the harsher ones. Caron Wintuk is harsh as well, but their Simply Soft is nice. Wool Ease isn't that bad either.....

Today I also started something different, but I have no pictures of it yet. I'll post abt that later this week once there is something more to show.

And just so I don't leave you pictureless, here is one of my favorite shots (ANY shot of a sleeping child is a favorite picture!)

Comments

Stacy said…
Yeay fluff! Because I'm homeschooling, I do read a lot of non-fluff. But, when it comes to my own reading, light is the order of the day.

That's a darling picture. Before I was a mom, sleeping kids were cute. Now, they embody so much more than a peaceful child. I see a sleeping child and I think... ooh, I could sit down and have a cup of coffee and knit (or read some fluff.)
Diane said…
Every thing I see a sleeping child all I can think of is, "They aren't resting .... they are recharging!" Wish I had half the energy the kids have.
Dee said…
I'm right there with you on the fluff (at least most of the time). I have a couple of non-fictions that I want to get too, but for right now ... fluff it is!
stitcherw said…
Cute picture, and I am totally with you on the light reading. I like fantasy, some scifi, light mysteries (not the gory hardcore ones), fun romance, really anything escapism. There is enough drama, bad news, and stress out in the real world, I want a fun read when I'm home in the evening. The exception is the occational biography (like Michael J. Fox's Lucky Man) of someone I'm interested in.
Sue

Popular posts from this blog

What's on the Needles on a Saturday Afternoon