Sunday, March 11, 2007

Rugrats & Knitting & Kitties OH MY!

Did you all remember to change back your clocks?? We didn't. Today #1 Son asked me if we were going to our religious meeting today and I said yes, but its still early. It's only 8:10. Well when I looked again it was actually 9:10 and the services start at 9:30. Needless to say we didnt make it. I REALLY hate when they change the time, it throws me off for a few days, but when we LOSE an hour, its so much worse!! I hate losing anything, but time is a major commodity around here...

BUT since we didnt go this AM, we've just been hanging around the house, doing a little knitting and a little organizing and a little tv watching. I've finished some socks and I started another project.

First, the socks.

They are a pair for CIC. I used some of the $1 wool yarn I got at my LYS and the trim, heel and toe are made from LionBrand's Landscapes in Spring Desert. I felted a purse with it and I decided to use the rest of it up in these socks. I had just enough to finish the toes, however I had to use the main color to kitchener, but you can't really tell. They are a bit stiff, and the wool is a bit harsher than I like, but they will soften up as they are washed and will make some kid's feet warm. My package will be mailed out tomorrow. The deadline isnt until March 31, but I need to move on to something else.

Something else.....THAT was the question. It's warming up here and I'm not in the mood to knit a sweater or a shawl. I needed to switch out from socks so instead I decided to go thru the bags that hold my on going projects. I found some leftover Red Heart Kids yarn from when I made this and used the rest to make another one.

Lucy is doing a nice job modeling this for me. However she just woke up so was in no mood to test it out.

Hmmmm, that's the SECOND ball of acrylic that I used up (the Landscapes is a 50/50 wool/acrylic blend which is why I only used it for accents instead of the whole sock). That got me thinking. I have a lot of odd balls of acrylic that I have no idea what to do with, and then I thought of how the women at the Animal Shelter loved my blankets. So I cast on for another blanket. Mindless knitting, exactly what I'm in the mood for. I cast on 108 stitches with some leftover variegated Jiffy and a solid yellow. Ran out of the Jiffy and added another Red Heart Kids. Ran out of yellow and added a Wintuk grey. I'm almost done with the Red Heart Kids and I pulled out some more oddball acrylics. I'm doubling up the worsted weight to give me a nice bulky weight. This is what it looked like last night, but I've added more today.

I have two 2-gal sized ziploc bags full of acrylics that I'm starting to make a dent in. I'm saving the wool-ease until last, I want to use up the Red Heart and the Wintuk first. I will start something once I get sick of this, there is no deadline for it, but its great mindless knitting and a great way to use up those acrylics.

It's been a whirlwind of field trips here, #1 Son went to Silver Springs (Baby Girl came too since I had nobody to watch her while we were gone) and also the zoo with Baby Girl's class. The zoo has been the easiest by far. I only had one other little girl to be responsible for and her and Baby Girl get along well. They did a lot of this

why, I have no idea, but they had fun and that's all that mattered.

Baby Girl also got to feed a goat


This place isnt really much of a zoo, there are no big cats like lions or tigers, there are no giraffes. They have elephants, a bunch of smaller cats, alligators, snakes and these.


It's not a zoo I would recommend but its fun for a younger grade's field trip. Here we are on the train.


Silver Springs was similar, we saw a lot of alligators, but how often do you get to HOLD one???


There are no more field trips for Baby Girl this year, but #1 Son will have one more before the year is up.

I leave you with this picture of what will probably be the last fire of the season. It's just getting too warm to have them anymore, but I know some of you could still use the warmth.

Have a happy Sunday everybody!!

3 comments:

stitcherw said...

Fun pictures. Baby girl looked like she had a wonderful time at the zoo. The fireplace was great at the end. We had nice weather again today, sunny and up to 50. However, all the snow is melting so it is really damp and that makes a chill in the air, a fire would be nice. One of these days I'd like to have a place that has a fireplace, they are so pretty.

BTW, if you get a minute can you send me the pattern for the cat toys you are knitting? That would be something quick and easy I could do, and with 3 cats I'm sure at least 1 (if not all) would enjoy it if I made one and stuffed it with catnip.
Sue

Susie said...

TREE HUGGING!! LOLOLOL The alligator pics freaked me out just a bit, though~

stitcherw said...

Forgot to mention I liked the socks you did for CIC, the different colored toes and heel are fun.

Also, did you see the neat potholder that Sapphire did on her blog?
http://sapphire2001.blogspot.com/
I love the two different colors that turned up in it. Between the two of you, you may get me knitting yet. :)
Sue