Well the last Monday of work/school is over! Three days left for me and the kids! I am SOO ready for it all to be over. They finally decided who will take over for me when I leave, it is the guy that I replaced over a year ago. However he hasnt touched a computer since he left so re-training is a bit of a challenge. He doesn't remember a lot of it, plus we've made some changes since I took over the position. And we only get four 2 hour days to train. Oh well, I'm not happy with it, but it's not my problem come Thursday afternoon.
On a more productive note, I've finished off two projects. First one is Baby Girl's tank.
Here is a close up picture of the yarn.
It's amazing to me how Baby Girl and I have different tastes. I started with the pink (something we both agreed on). That yarn is the Fantasy Naturalle in pink, a mercerized cotton. I really liked working with this yarn. However I ran out. This was some of the yarn I bought at the quilt show and they only had 1 skein of each so I bought the pink and a variegated pink/yellow/orange. Only Baby Girl didnt like the variegated. She liked the black and teal that she picked out from my LYS during their dollar days sale. It's a Tahki Cotton Dot yarn, also 100% mercerized cotton, but not as nice to work with as the Fantasy Naturale. I didn't think it matched, but after the 5th time of asking her, are you SURE you like it, and her repeatedly saying Yes, I knit up the rest of the tank. And then I ran out of yarn. Again! I still needed to do the straps. I did a stash dive because I knew I had some black cotton yarn somewhere in the pile. aHa!! It was part of that $1 yarn from my LYS, 98%cotton, 2% elastic (very similar to Cascade Fixation) and worked perfectly. I used that for the underarms and straps. Considering I used 3 different yarns with 2 different gauges, it really all came together quite nicely. Now that its finished, I have to say I don't dislike it as much as I did when I first started. The plain black seems to have tied it in well with the pink. The best part? Baby Girl LOVES it and wore it to school today. I now have people asking for their own tanks!! I then offer to teach them, but I never seem to have any takers......
This tank used the pattern from the Knitting A Day calendar, June 15, 2006. If I did this again, I would add seed stitch to the bottom of it. It would tie in well with the top of the tank and the straps that are done in seed stitch. Plus it wouldnt roll as much as it is. It took me 7 days to complete.
I finished it off while watching Anne of Green Gables, the Continuing Story (MUCH darker than the first two), and then cast on for a scarf in fun fur. It's a JoAnn's brand of novelty yarn in purple that I bought a couple of years ago. I cast on 15 stitches on size 17 needles (did NOT like using needles that big!) and finished it off last night (it took me two hours to complete). This one is for #1 Son to play with. They like to use scarves for dress up so this works well going into the summer.
I may not have liked the yarn that much, but I DO enjoy seeing my work enjoyed and used.
I now have nothing on the needles (that I want to do) and need to decide what to start next....... I'm sure I'll cast on for something soon, I'm thinking another pair of Magic 28 socks. Those go QUICK!