How Times Have Changed

When I was a little girl, we had 5 channels to watch on TV, the big 3 (CBS, NBC and ABC), a local PBS channel and an independent local channel. Channels 2, 4, 6, 7 and 10 were all we got. We had a big antenna so the big 3 came in clear, the PBS channel was mostly clear and 6 (the independent channel) was grainy at best. Every once in awhile we could get a UHF channel, but that was REALLY snowy. I remember my grandmother asking how I could watch it since the reception was so grainy, but Wally Gator was on and since I hardly ever got to see it, I dealt with it.

Saturday mornings were for serious cartoon watching.

And if you wanted to see a movie, you went to the theatre. There was no Blockbuster video store.

When I was 12 or 13 we got cable. Or my sister did. My grandfather was quite happy with his antenna thankyouverymuch. Oh, but the cable.......MTV (when they actually played music videos!), and HBO!!!! We didn't get Cinemax because that's where the adult movies were played, but I still had 35 channels to watch. I would come home from school and watch the latest music videos and then watch The Joy of Painting for an hour. My sister thought I was nuts.

Then we got a VCR and could TAPE SHOWS WHEN WE WEREN'T HOME! Life was good.

Now we have Dish Network with a DVR. I can tape 2 shows at once and watch a 3rd. We have 500+ channels. I can watch cooking all day long, I can watch golf or fishing 24/7. If I want to watch the news, BOOM! I have 3 or 4 all day news channels to choose from. What's the weather in New York? Check the Weather Channel. And if I can't find it there, I can hop on the Information Highway and google it.

Why do I bring all of this up? Because today we had a problem with our tv set and it would only transmit snowy shows. It reminded me of growing up with snowy reception and I proceeded to impart this knowledge to my children. OMG you'd think I grew 3 heads!!

"You ONLY had 5 channels??"

"You couldn't rent movies?!?"

"They only played cartoons on Saturday?? When did you watch Spongebob?"

"There WAS NO Spongebob?!?"

They thought I was kidding when I told them that the IO lived out in the country and only got ABC and NBC on a good day and didn't get cable until he was about 20.

It's my generation's version of walking to school in snow up hill both ways.

---

And to keep this post from being picture free (because that would be a travesty!) I'll post an update of my Seasonal cross stitch project.

This was from the end of August.

And this is where I am now.

I seriously considered changing to a different season since its already the 2nd half of October, but I've already stitched parts that don't match the other 3 and I'm not ABOUT to rip it out. So we will stay with the Autumn scene. It doesnt really make that much of a difference since it still feels like summer here. It's not the core-of-the-earth hot, but the heat index today was 96. Ugh.

I think I need to google Bob Ross. Maybe if I look at some of his winter scenes, it will cool me off.

Comments

Dee said…
I am SO ready for cooler weather. Where IS it already???????
aksunflour said…
We only have 6 stations. PBS, CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox and one other. That is 2 more than what I had growing up. The UHF station didn't come in very well.

We use satellite for internet as there isn't any DSL or Cable in my vicinity.

good job on the cross stitch- my new sewing machine does cross stitch. (much easier on these old eyes!) LOL
Dave said…
I used to love Joy of Painting. Back then, I thought he was the Most Talented Painter Ever. LOL! Thanks for the memory. :-)
Diane said…
Before cable tv came to my neighborhood we got 1 station. Yes 1. And it was pbs. I live at the base of a rolling hill and there was no way I was going to cut down trees and put up a 40 ft antenna. When cable came it was wonderful to be able to just sit and watch the news.

Now we have about 60 to choose from and I'm fine with it. Don't want satellite because I don't want to have to weed thru a thousand different channels.
Life's a Stitch said…
We don't have TV at all. People felt sorry for my kids and recorded Power Rangers for them. They survived unscathed :)
Li
What a great post. I reminisced along with you as I read...

Thanks for visiting my blog, I hope you come back often!
Carol said…
Hee hee-I didn't have cable til I was 23. We were discussing the very same thing yesterday! Saturday meant grocery shopping with mom, then the cartoons ensued til they were done. Then remember this? Outside to play!
Deborah said…
I remember a trip we took the boys when they were really small. It was some country, I can't remember but there was Cartoon Network going full blast at 1am (that's when we landed in the hotel). They were shocked! They danced! They gave praises and from that point on they refused to sleep, go to the bathroom or even to the pool. I'm still unraveling that 'Cartoon Network on the brain' mess 15 years later!

Popular posts from this blog

What's on the Needles on a Saturday Afternoon