Monday, June 30, 2008

Going, going,

GONE.



See the sock.


See the sock flop.


Rip, sock, rip!


I finished the gusset last night and decided to try the sock on. It fit fine on my heel, but the cuff was floppy! Even with the ribbing. I took the needles out and rewound it this AM. I did some searching on Ravelry last night to see what else I could make with the Regia Bamboo. Other than socks, there were also Baby Surprise Jackets and airy shawls. I have two skeins in another color that I might possibly turn into one of those shawls. I think the yarn would be wonderful in a drapey, airy shawl, especially since it was already doing that in my sock! So the verdict (for now) is to keep the yarn and find something else to do with it. It's really soft and really nice to knit with so I don't want to give up on it just yet.

So now I have no socks on the needles. What should I chose?!!? I haven't decided yet. I almost felt like I had no sock yarn. Suddenly I'm back in AP English reading the The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
"Water, water, every where,
And all the boards did shrink ;
Water, water, every where,
Nor any drop to drink."**

Once I started regressing back to my school years, I decided I needed a break from it all and did this instead.


I have a friend who is abt to pop and I've been putting off making these receiving blankets long enough. Now I can put them in a gift bag with the socks I made and a cute little outfit for the winter. One more project to check off the list.

As I was on the sewing machine, I had both kids hovering around asking me when am I going to make THEM something (they're like the cobbler's children when it comes to my sewing) so since I have the sewing machine out and the fabrics at hand, who knows what else I'll whip up.


**Not only are we entertaining here at Happy Acres, we try to be educational as well! Besides, when else will I use this information???

8 comments:

pjbknit said...

oh no! I have some sock yarn that I think I have frogged at least twice. It doesn't know what it wants to be.

Susan said...

Hmmm. I'm not surprised you frogged it. It would probably make a lovely shawl. Or I might try doubling it with another kind of sock yarn without bamboo to make warmer socks. Thanks for letting me know.

I'm a big fan of Knit Picks yarn! I also dyed a wool/bamboo blend from Trekking base yarn and it wasn't floppy like that at all. There are still a couple of skeins in my Etsy shop. It was lovely but pricey. I ordered it from Astrid's in the Netherlands and the shipping has gotten really high so I didn't order any more of it.

For some reason your email has been bouncing when I try to reply to the one you sent. It was also bouncing another addy that I was trying to send so I think it's probably my server not yours. Anyway, I thought I'd leave a comment on your blog instead.

Susan

Ruth said...

Wow--you went from quoting 1st grade "Dick and Jane" books (or something close) to AP English all in one post. I agree, a blog is where you can share all sorts of info that stuck in your head!

Thanks for your sock comments. I figured the ribbing had some point so I would do it, but I can't figure out what. (Unless it's all an evil plan to make me go slightly insane. In that case, it suceeded.) It's going to stay in timeout for a bit.

SusieH said...

Bummer about the sockliness, or non-sockliness. I think something lacy wold be great! I was checking out lace wraps on Ravelry today meself...

Vivian said...

Love the cow jump over the moon fabric. My son's nursery (corner of my room) was done in that theme. The kid wore a lot of blues and yellows cause I liked them :-)

Life's a Stitch said...

Oh well, some projects are like that.

Sandie Knapp said...

I have yet to try bamboo yarn. I have felt it, and it was soft. But I have too much stash at the moment, so the bamboo will have to wait. I'm sure you will find something lovely to make with it. I do like the colorway. Very nice.

Your Rugrats do appear to have grown some during the school year. And I'm sure they have matured more than you had hoped for. They always do.

Have a fun holiday weekend. :)

stitcherw said...

Oh no, your poor sock. All that work and it was looking so pretty and then to rip it all out. However, if it wasn't working, stopping was the wisest choice, but still, ouch. It does sound like it will make a lovely shawl though, soft and snuggly. Very cute blankets too, what a fun gift set to give.
Sue