Sock Challenges

Summer of Socks '08 started on Saturday so that night I cast on for a pair of socks. I haven't finished my Maizy socks yet, and I usually don't like having more than one grown up pair (God you can tell I have kids; 5 years ago I would have said adult) going at a time, but I am a sucker for KALs and if I finish a pair in a 2 week period of time I get to be put into a drawing for more sock yarn. Because, you know, I don't have enough.

I only knit abt 4 rounds on Saturday, but last night while watching the qualifying Olympics Gymnastics meet, I did my 2 inch cuff (the requirements for SOS08) and finished the heel flap.

See?


The yarn is soft and feels like butter in my hands. I'm using 2.5mm dpns and am getting 9st/inch. Good gauge for socks. And yet the sock feels........

....drapey.

Now for those of you who don't knit socks, they are NOT supposed to feel drapey! They should have some body to them. But this sock is a bit floppy. I plan on finishing this sock and see how it fits. It could be the nature of the fibers (bamboo), and it could fit fine once done. We'll see. If I like it, I will continue on with the second sock. If not, it will be ripped out and reserved for something else.

Adding in all the cool different fibers to sock yarn is really neat, but I'm finding out why merino wool is still the most preferred. And its making me rethink all that Sockotta cotton blended yarn I have in the stash.......

Comments

Dee said…
At least the color is pretty! :-)
SusieH said…
Yep, as I knit more socks, I find my favorite stuff is superwash with a little nylon. Some of the beautiful hand dyed wools are SOOOO tempting, but I hate the whole handwash thing....
stitcherw said…
Hope it works out for you. It's a lovely color, and would be such a shame to rip it out.
Sue
Brigitte said…
Oh...to finish a pair of socks in a two week period! *sigh*
aksunflour said…
If ever you find that you have to much sock yarn on your hands... I will help to alleviate some of your undecideness about what to knit. (by having you send me a sample). LOL
Vivian said…
I knitted only one pair of socks in cotton, in lace pattern no less, not fun to knit but very comfortable to wear. Usually I stick with wool.
Criquette said…
OOOOh, pretty yarn. Hope it grows into something less drapey.

Popular posts from this blog

What's on the Needles on a Saturday Afternoon