Thursday, July 10, 2008

Now THAT was therapeutic!

I've been feeling out of sorts the past couple of weeks and have been trying to do SOMETHING to *reboot* myself (yes I live with a computer geek). Finally the IO suggested I go up to Ocala. There are a couple of craft stores I've been wanting to visit for awhile, but I knew that they'd be closed by the time I got up there. The IO said "So what? Hobby Lobby will still be open and you will have fun. GO!"

Well when the man's right, the man's right! It was EXACTLY what I needed! The first place I visited was ET Yarns. Erma has been in business for 35+ years and is right next to Silver Springs. She is trying out a website but she didn't know what the address was and she doesn't think she'll keep it. It's an older shop, she sells mostly acrylic blends and cottons (the shop is old, but the yarn is fairly new) and she carries some sock yarn. Not a great selection but enough that I was able to buy a skein of Fortissima Socka with bamboo. I know, more bamboo, but this one has only 25% bamboo instead of the 45% in the Regia so I'm hoping that will make a difference.

Then I went off to Brick City Cross Stitch but I got there 5 min before they closed so I didn't bother going in. They are in the process of moving so I may just wait a month or so when they are having their *I Don't Want To Move It* sale and take another trip up then.

Next stop was Hobby Lobby. I've never been to one before and wow this place is huge!!! I went directly to the back of the store to where the yarn was and I swear I gasped when I saw their selection. Later on, once I looked thru it all, I realized it wasnt as much as I originally thought, but its the way it was laid out that really hit me. Plus they carry their own brand of yarn which is also very nice. So did they have the Sock Ease and the Heart & Sole??? YOU BET!!!! I bought both. The colors of the Sock Ease aren't as nice in person as they are on line and I'm hoping the skein I got (Toffee) knits up to what I've seen. We'll see. The Red Heart offered more colors and some solids. I had a hard time choosing. I ended up with Toasted Almond, Spring Stripe and Navy Blue. The navy will be the toes and heels of the Toasted Almond. I didn't get individual pictures of the yarns, but here is my goodie bag!


And look!!! My mojo is back!

I cast on last night with the Toasted Almond and I'm really enjoying it. I don't really feel the Aloe in the yarn, honestly it feels like I'm stitching with Regia, a good solid wool yarn. I did a Spiral Rib for the first 20 rows and am now doing straight stst. So far so good.

I also bought some 16 count white aida to stitch up some Disney Princesses for Baby Girl. I was a bit surprised that I didn't have any in my stash, but I guess when you stop buying stash, you really do use it up! I'll be starting that sometime today once I pull all my threads.

At this point I'm hungry and I head over to Bennigan's for dinner. I had a book with me and I have no problem eating at a restaurant by myself. However I have friends who look at me like I have a third head. How can I sit there by myself? Don't people stare at you? Don't you feel self conscious?? Let's see. It's quiet, I can read my book w/o interruption, I don't have to cut up food or make sure the decibel level is kept at a good place and I have somebody waiting on ME for a change. Hmmmm, what's not to like?!?!

What abt you? Can you go into a restaurant, sit down and eat alone or is it too awkward for you??

The last best part of the day? I had to fill up the van with gas and I had been seeing prices anywhere from $3.95 to $4.06. Then I saw a Murphy's USA and with my Wal-Mart card I paid this.


A good day indeed.

8 comments:

Dee said...

I have no problems eating by myself. I too enjoy the peace and quiet time to read and savor my food without interruption.

I also like going to a park and just sitting by myself to knit. The one in the middle of Winter Park is a great place to people watch and knit.

Good score on the gas. I paid $3.97 and filled up. Then a couple of miles later saw a station with $3.93. Bugger!

Did Brick City say where it was moving?

Karen said...

Wow, wonderful day!!! I went on a hunt for some Sock Ease a while ago, but no one had it. But if the colors aren't that great, maybe it was just as well.

I haven't eaten in a restaurant alone in a while, but I don't mind it either!

SusieH said...

3.85? I drool...we are paying 1.15 a liter here ON BASE! That's about 4.50 a gallon, right? It's almost 10 bucks a gallon off base...
I can eat on my own, no problem, but I really do like to have reading material along or else I feel self-conscious.

Love the new yarn haul. The toasted almond looks yummy :)

NH Knitting Mama said...

I'm glad you're feeling better and your mojo is back. I know what it's like to be in a funk, and it stinks! But, when things get back to normal, it is so great, isn't it?

KSee said...

so glad to see your mojo back. I always wonder where it hides out at!
In the morning the gas is $4.09 I get home it is $4.06 closer to work we start into the $4.12-19.

Deborah said...

The last thing I remember my hubby saying to me was, " what do you do all day?" "All I see you do is knit." I quickly responded that I would take several weeks sabbatical so that he could see just what I do when it doesn't get done!

If my hubby sent me to a craft store I'd think that his body was conquered by aliens. I don't think that I would call the Men In Black for help.

stitcherw said...

What a lovely outing, sounds like you had fun and got some lovely new stash. I don't generally have problems eating out by myself either. Some resturants I'm more comfortable in than others, but over all, not a problem. Good deal on the gas as well, ours is currently around $4.15, ouch.
Sue

Life's a Stitch said...

We're up to $6.00 a gallon! That should make you feel a bit better ;-)