A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Office

So it looks like I need to go back to work. Blech. Not what I want to do, but if I want to pay bills, eat and buy yarn, it looks like that's the case. The challenge is to find a job that will pay decent money and give me a schedule that will let me be home when the rugrats are, or find a job that pays well and find a place with after school care. Since I'm hoping a great job will come the IO's way, I opt for temp work. I've done this in the past and it has always worked out well for me. I call the temp agency and set up an appt for Tues.

So yesterday I get up, get dressed in a nice shirt, skirt and 2" heels. I put on make up. As I'm getting ready to leave, Baby Girl turns around and says, "Mommy, you look HOT!" (don't you just love what they learn from shows on DISNEY?!?!) I get my coffee, my breakfast bar and I leave. The clock in the van says it's 5:35. Hmmmmm. It's actually 9:15am. Not a great way to start this day out, but I'm still not worried because I've been there before and I've got all my notes with me.

Office Team is in one of those office complexes that have a ton of buildings that all look alike. I turn in, go around traffic circle #1, go around traffice circle #2 and there is the building on the left. Yep, just as I remember it. I go park and walk into the building. Hmmmm. The suite number isn't Office Team. In fact according to the building directory, Office Team isn't in the building. I ask somebody if they know where OT is. It's in the building next door. Ok so I walk back out to the car, drive around the area to find building #1, park closer to the interstate than to the building and go inside. No Office Team. I ask again. Nobody knows. And there are 5 other buildings to check. I trek back to the car and try one more building. Nope, not there either.

I don't have my cell phone (a story in itself) so I haven't been able to call the office. I need to find a pay phone. Finally find one at the movie theatre and call them (using a credit card since I have no change on me). They are in the building right behind the theatre. What are the odds.

I arrive 45 min late, make-up melted off, hair a tangled mess, two blisters on each foot from my shoes and a wicked rash on the inside of my thighs.

Everything else after that went fine. I explained why I was late (apparently I'm not the only one who gets lost in the maze of office buildings), I took their tests and they will call when there is a job available. By the time I had my interview with a real human I wasn't such a mess so I know I didn't blow it.

On the way home I stopped at the school to pick up Baby Girl's report card from last year (it never got mailed) and found out they had a job opening in the front office. I applied for it that day. If I have to work, at least I'm at the school and my schedule is the same as theirs. Plus I'll know all the good dirt working in the center part of the school!

As soon as I got home I shed off the corporate look and put on the sloppy housewife look (a big old tee). I was never so happy to wash dishes!!


Do you mean you'll be gone the WHOLE day?!?!

Comments

SusieH said…
Crossing fingers and hoping a good position comes your way! The school gig would be great, wouldn't it!?
Jane said…
Bummer about having to work, but if you do, that school job sounds great.
Jacki said…
LOL, I'm getting that same look from my animals right now!

Popular posts from this blog

What's on the Needles on a Saturday Afternoon