Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Sock Yarn at the Big Box Stores

If you read my post from yesterday, I bought very little yarn. If you've read this blog for any length of time, you will know I love to knit socks and collect sock yarn. With that in mind let me step up on my soap box......

When I was in Michael's, I noticed they had some Kroy sock yarn on sale. Can I tell you they had some of the ugliest colors?!!? I think they had abt 9 different colorways, 6 of which were self striping. I wish I had my camera because these were some really sad looking colors. They did have plain cream, grey and black which is good if you wanted to make some plain socks or if you like to change up the heels and toes, but I had NO desire to buy any of it. That being said, I'm happy to see that at least some sock yarn is being sold in the store. However, this yarn needs to be knit with either a size 1 or *maybe* a size 2 needle. What was the smallest needle size they sold in the store? A size 3. Why sell the books and yarn if you don't carry all the supplies to make the item?

Joann's carries the smaller needles, but their supply of sock yarn was even smaller. This is why so many people still go to their LYSs or on line to purchase their supplies. With such a small attempt at sock yarn, its no wonder why it doesn't fly off the shelves.

Thank you for your time (stepping off soap box now).


Felines never have issues with such trivial things. WE grow our own.

3 comments:

Sandie Knapp said...

I just have to add that while some yarns look horrible in the ball, they can surprise you when you knit them into socks. Example, a ball of Opal yarn in black, grey and orange. I looked at the ball and thought BLECK!!!! Now they are one my most treasured pair of socks and even my Doc thinks they are the coolest! Now how is that for a surprise?

As to craft stores, you are so right. All of them do a poor job when it comes to sock yarns. We have AC Moore Inc, Michaels, and Joanne's and I am always frustrated with their yarn departments.

Kay-From the Back Yard said...

I agree with you about the inconsistency at Michaels. Whoever is doing the ordering is not a knitter.

SusieH said...

Amen! I was in JOhn Lewis yesterday - lovely department store with a haberdashery dept (read: wools). Got gorgeous sock wool and they hadlots more, but no DPNs smaller than our size 3 equiv. I would say. Myabe size 2. But that's too big for me...