Friday, January 16, 2009

At least I can fix him

On the last day of 2008, I noticed that Hemi was limping. I was trying to figure out what he could have done to hurt himself. Did he get in a cat fight? Did he fall off the fence while spying on the neighborhood dogs? I didn't know and since he didn't seem to have too much of a problem when I was messing with it, I figured I'd give it a couple of days. The following week I *thought* it was doing better but by Thursday night, he was really favoring that leg. I took him to the vet on Monday (Friday was booked up solid) and after an x-ray was taken, was told that he broke his hip.

BROKE. HIS. HIP!

huh?!?!

Apparently part of the ball that attaches the leg to the hip didn't develop really well so it broke off. The dr said he could have landed wrong from a jump that made it snap, the bone in that area was really weak. He had surgery on Thursday to remove the broken part and the hip would be able to heal well enough that in time we would be hard pressed to know which one was the injured one. We picked him up today and the poor cat looks like he's been thru the wringer. They shaved most of his leg and the stitches are abt 3" long. He slept most of the day, and eventually came out to cuddle with me a bit. He's eating and grooming himself so I know he's doing ok, but he really looks like he's been thru a lot. If you want to see what he looks like, click here. I didn't want to post it automatically since some of you might be a bit squeamish with that kind of stuff. I warn you, it ain't pretty.

Along with this, my week consisted of getting #1 Son to school 45 min earlier since he has joined the Music Club, a PTA meeting, a SAC meeting (student advisory board that I got suckered into), a meeting with the School Board regarding new zoning areas, ballet, and work. Oh yeah and do laundry, cook and grocery shop so we'd have food and clothing to wear. Thankfully after I dropped off Hemi yesterday for his surgery, I got to meet up with my stitching group for a bit of R&R. I worked on Ariel and will be posting an updated picture of her either tomorrow or Sunday. I haven't been making much progress on anything lately and I'm really starting to feel it. I need to make some time tomorrow just to knit.

Hope everybody is staying warm and cozy inside while wearing/working on their hand knits.


The heat from the VCR can really keep you toasty!

6 comments:

Life's a Stitch said...

I have never heard of a cat breaking his hip. Sounds so serious, hope he's feeling better soon.

Dee said...

Oh my golly, they really shaved a BIG area. Poor Hemi. It will grow back quickly.

I'm glad to hear that he is well on the way to mending up. Eating and grooming, it's a good thing.

Sounds like the kids are keeping you busy. Mine is keeping me busy this weekend too. 26 and he's still running me ragged! LOL Oh well, hopefully, there will be two cars in the driveway at the end of the day.

Jane said...

Oh, poor Hemi. At least he seems to be doing ok following surgery. And hang in there, the cold will be gone soon (I hope - it was 12 here yesterday morning!)

Susan said...

I think it looks so much worse on pets because they shave so far around the incision. I'm sure he will recuperate more quickly than you think. I've had dogs that have had pretty major surgery and they do very well after a few days.

Sandie Knapp said...

Poor Hemi. I'm glad to see he is recovering and doing so well. Cats can be amazing in how they deal with such major problems. He is being well cared for, so he knows he has nothing to worry about.

KSee said...

Sorry I have not been keeping up with you. Poor baby, poor wallet. He will bounce back. I am so glad the boys are now staying in all day. Of course 30 weather temps help.