Sunday, December 27, 2009

A Year in Review

So here we are at the end of yet another year. Not only are we ramping up to start a new year, but one that sounds so futuristic.

2010

Remember when 2001 Space Odyssey came out and it seemed like it would be FOREVER before we were in the new century?? While I didn't see that movie until much later, I was alive when it was first released in 1968, and even in the 70s it seemed SO far away.

Then 2010 was released in 1984 (another famous year due to the book). Again, it seemed SO FAR AWAY.

Yet in 4 days we will be writing them on our checks. Oh wait, we don't use checks much anymore. We use on line bill pay and debit cards instead of cash and checks. Maybe Big Brother really IS watching us! He at least helps us pay our bills.

Meanwhile even with all the technological advances we've made over the years, there are still people who enjoy handwork. Like me and you. I truly enjoy surfing the web, watching a movie when I want, catching up on last season's TV by watching it all on one small disc and researching something just by "googling" it, but it will never take the place of the feel of a book in my hand or the rhythm of needlework.

Which brings me to my year in review. While I never quite do as much as I want or hope, projects do get done.

What have I done this year?

9 books read. I really think this is more, but I can't remember for sure. I usually keep track of my books, but the last one I wrote down was back in Aug. I know I read at least one more since then, but I'm not sure how many more. So we'll stick with the nine.


Sewing projecs: 5
1 apron
1 pr shorts
1 pr pants
2 receiving blankets

Not as many as I'd like, but I'll take what I can get!


Cross Stitch: 2
Ariel
Meow Spoken Here

Again, pretty sad. I'd like to get a few more done next year.


Knitting: 31

20 family projects
2 scarves
5 pr socks
5 hats
1 sweater
1 blanket
4 wash cloths
1 coaster
1 ear warmer

11 charity projects
3 kitty blankets
3 vests
4 pr socks
1 portion of an odd ball blanket

I had more last year, but I ended up doing less for charity this year. My two favorite charities, Warm Woolies and Children In Common have either dissolved (WW) or have come to a screaching halt (CIC). I had a hard time finding another charity, but I think I will be sending them up to my SIL in NY. She is aware of some families that could use my hand knits and I know it will get to people who can really use them.

Something new that I started this year was keeping track of what I used up and what I bought. Since I don't expect to finish anything else in the next few days, my final tallies are:

approx 127 oz or 7000 yds used up this year! That's abt 8lbs or the length of 70 football fields long!!!! WOW that's a lot of yarn!!!

I only had 8 separate purchases of yarn this year, a HUGE feat for me! And I spent less than $250 to boot!!! I'm trying to use up what I've got, or at least use up more than what I bring in. Of course we have a new year coming up and some vacation LYSs will be visited so I may be sharing some new stash in the coming weeks......

What am I taking into the new year with me? Eight cross stitch projects and believe it or not, only 1 knitting project (but that may turn to 2 because I feel the need to cast on for some fingerless mitts).

If you want to check out last year's list, click here.

Last but not least, here are some impatients I bought last week.

Wonder how long they'll last....

5 comments:

The Knifty Knitter said...

I liked your year end wrap up. It was cool to see what you had accomplished. I'm hoping to keep better track of my projects next year on Ravelry so I can do something similar next year. For charity knitting you might want to look into Global Knits (www.globalknit.org). They also have a Raverly group. I think I'm going to knit a few items for them.

Dee said...

Wow!

I'm going to keep better track of my purchases and my projects in 2010.

I'll do a recap for 2011 --- it will be interesting to see how much gets done.

Have a wonderful trip! See you when you get back.

stitcherw said...

I can't believe it will be 2010 either, it does seem a futuristic date. Nice list of finishes you had, you got a lot done.
Sue

LISMI said...

This was great to read!
it seems that you're a very organized person.....
I learn from you for next year.

Knittymuggins said...

Wow, what a creative year!! You finished *way* more knitting projects than I did. I'm so impressed :) My plan is to keep better track of my stash usage this upcoming year too. I have so much and I really need to use it up!

Hope your holidays were wonderful and have a Happy New Year!

knittymuggins