Knitting and Crochet Blog Week - Day 1 - 2KCBWDAY1

In an attempt to get my blog groove back, I'm participating in Eskimimi's Knitting and Crochet Blog Week. If you want to play along, go here. Today is the first day so you're not too far behind to join in.



Day One: 28th March. A Tale of Two Yarns.: Part of any fibre enthusiast’s hobby is an appreciation of yarn. Choose two yarns that you have either used, are in your stash or which you yearn after and capture what it is you love or loathe about them.

The two yarns I chose were Lorna's Laces and Malabrigo. I LOVE Lorna's Laces. It's a pretty yarn that's very durable and can last a long time. Plus I really enjoy knitting with it. The downside is that it fades very quickly after only a washing or two. I have a skein all set to go for another pair of socks to take the place of the ones that just recently wore out.

Next up, Malabrigo. What can I say? Everybody loves Malabrigo. Everybody but me. I've knit with both the worsted weight and the sock weight. The worsted is a single ply yarn which meant that I kept unraveling it while I knit. I figured the sock weight would be better since it was spun with nylon and not just a single ply. Well while I love the colors, the yarn had knots and the socks wore out in less than a year. The yarn is very yummy to touch, but not a good yarn for me to knit. I have two skeins in my stash that need to be relocated.

So there you have it. If you do play along, mention it in my comments so that I can come read your post. If you don't, then tell me what two yarns you would have picked.


Her relocate yarn?!?! HA! Don't make me laugh!!!

Comments

Susan said…
I find that a lot of so-called sock yarns aren't sturdy enough for socks, Malabrigo being one of them.
Jennifer said…
oooh - at first I thought you picked two "loves". I have used malabrigo and while it was OK to knit with (as in very, very soft), my project was pilling before I finished. I can only imagine what the sweater will look like after it's worn. Very good insight. I'll know to pass up on the sock yarn.
Chris said…
My favorite sock yarn in Meilenweit - sturdy, great colors, and their cotton blend is even decent to knit.

Popular posts from this blog

What's on the Needles on a Saturday Afternoon