Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Tidy Mind, tidy stitches - 2kcbwday3



Day Three: 30th March. Tidy mind, tidy stitches.

How do you keep your yarn wrangling organised? It seems like an easy to answer question at first, but in fact organisation exists on many levels. Maybe you are truly not organised at all, in which case I am personally daring you to try and photograph your stash in whatever locations you can find the individual skeins. However, if you are organised, blog about an aspect of that organisation process, whether that be a particularly neat and tidy knitting bag, a decorative display of your crochet hooks, your organised stash or your project and stash pages on Ravelry.


Believe it or not, I'm actually pretty organized when it comes to my stash. Most of my yarn is sock yarn (shocker!) and it fits in a big plastic bin. This is an old pic of my sock yarn from 2 years ago. I may need to take another one soon. I'm getting that urge to clear out.


I have another plastic bin that holds wools and acrylics for charity items. I have my spns in a holder I got on clearance from JoAnn's, my dpns are in a smaller version. My circs are in another plastic bin that has drawers and they fit nicely in there. Most of my circs are my Denise needles so those fit in that container that I keep on my night stand.

I've always been real good abt keeping track of my projects. When I finish a project I take a picture of it. When I start one I will note the date, the book/magazine it came from and any other pertinent info on it. Back in the day before I had a digital camera, I would take a pic of the finished project, write out all the info on an index card and slip them both in a small photo album. Once I started using my digital more, all my projects are stored on my computer with the info in a journal that I also keep on my night stand. I use Ravelry a lot to keep track of my projects, but I mostly use Ravelry to check out yarn and projects of other people. I rely on my journal for a quick reference of what I have going on and what I have finished.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Such a pretty picture! I always think - if I didn't blog, read other blogs, organize, and surf the net for new exciting patterns, there'd be more time for actual knitting. Hehehe.

Dee said...

You are getting up there in sock yarn!!! Is that a little white ball of Fixation along the edge? :::shudder:::