Thursday, March 31, 2011

Where are they now? – 2KCBWDAY4


Whatever happened to your __________?
Write about the fate of a past knitting project. Whether it be something that you crocheted or knitted for yourself or to give to another person. An item that lives with you or something which you sent off to charity.


I've touched on this a bit in the past, but we'll revisit it again for the blog week. I pretty much take pictures of everything I've worked on. Even before my digital camera, I took a pic of the finished project. It helps me remember what I did, how my tastes have changes, that yes I DO complete projects even when it feels like I don't. I don't have the very first knitted block I worked on, but I do have my first completed project in a box in my craft closet, a Barbie coat I did when I was 13. When I was 20 I made a sweater from a Family Circle magazine that I still have. In fact I've worn it the past couple of winters.


My first UFO is also sitting in my craft closet. After that grey sweater was complete, I started a short sleeved yellow cotton blend sweater, but it never got finished. I always wanted to finish it too, but at this point in the game, it SO wouldnt fit me anymore. I have it in the bag that I will pull out to finish for Baby Girl. That is if it doesn't look too '80s for her. That was back in the early 90s. I didn't pick up the needles until 2001 when I made this.

As you can see, #1 Son (or Man/Child) was only a couple of years old. He is now 12. That vest lasted 3 winters!! It was a little big that first winter, fit great that 2nd winter, and a little snug that third. Thank goodness knits will stretch!

I see the same thing with Baby Girl. What start out as dresses turn into tank tops which eventually cut her off in the armpits and are then put away. Two examples are these.


So while I dont always realize the time passing with knits I make myself, I DEFINITELY see it with the rugrats.

2 comments:

Dee said...

You really do get quite a bit knitted! Boy --- your kids grow up FAST! LOL

We won't mention that MINE is going to be 28 in a couple of weeks!

Sandie Knapp said...

I think it's wonderful that a sweater you knit for yourself years ago, still fits you, and well. At least you have not gotten any bigger. :)