Sunday, May 08, 2011

A Saturday First!!

After over a year of dreaming, I FINALLY reached a goal of mine, I participated in a 5k walk/run. Two winters ago I thought running in 5K races would be a lot of fun. However I am out of shape and dislike running. So why the goal? Because I thought they would be a great way to GET in shape and lose some weight. I even tried the Couch to 5K program. I know a couple of ppl who have done this program and it works great. IF you do it.

I got hung up on the running parts. I really don't like to run, a big reason being my knees hurt. I'm sure there are some exercises and braces and special shoes that I could wear to keep my knees from hurting while I attempted to run, but it's a lot easier to just not run!

Then at our last stitch group, Dee told me I could walk. HUH??? SO I started looking into local 5Ks to participate in. And then there was one posted at the school for a teacher who has cervical cancer. I had to do it.

Baby Girl and #1 Son joined me. After a mile I sent them back to the main area with a teacher on a golf cart. Baby Girl was having a hard time with her shoes (sneakers that were more pretty than durable) and #1 Son had tripped and fallen and gotten a bit run over by the person behind him. He was ok, but didnt want to run anymore. I knew they'd be ok because half of the teachers from school were there handing out refreshments. Once they were safely on their way back, I was off! One hour and 24 seconds was my total time. Not great but not bad either. I finished and I wasn't last so I am REALLY proud of myself. My goal was to finish in an hour and I did just that. Here I am after I crossed the finish line.

I wasn't going to post this picture because it's a REALLY bad pic of me, but I figure if a heavy woman like me with wonky boobs can walk a 5k, I may give inspiration to somebody who's been thinking abt it, but not sure they can. If I can do it, chances are good you can too! I plan on signing up for more. I wish we were coming out of summer instead of going in, but since they are early in the AM, I should be ok.

And I thought of you Dee when they gave me a banana!!!! LOL

Plus this is what I got to look at while I walked......

All in all it was a beautiful day.

5 comments:

Dee said...

What are you talking about? You look FABULOUS!!! Will you look at that smile!!!

Congrats.

Susan said...

Huge congratulations!

Bridget said...

Congratulations! I love walking both as exercise and as a means of transportation - never dull, since there is always something/someone to see ...

I have no idea what you mean by "wonky boobs" but it made me laugh!

SusieH said...

I am so proud and excited for you!! Way to go...I want a banana when I do mine this weekend :)

Sandie Knapp said...

Congratulations Lynn. I couldn't do that if my life depended on it, and I am so very proud of you. :)