Wednesday, March 13, 2013

More Experimenting

There have been a few websites that I've gone to that have shown how to hard boil eggs in the oven.  I know, weird, right??  But after seeing it a few times I just had to try it.  So I pulled out my muffin pan and six eggs to try it out.
ignore the old, stained pan


The recipe says to bake in the oven for 25-30 min at 325 degrees.   Guess what?  It worked!


They look a bit weird and I probably could have pulled them out at 27 min instead of 30 because my eggs just started getting that green outer yellow part, but they look good and tasted fine!!!   The IO thought it was interesting but couldnt figure out why you would make eggs this way instead of boiling them on the stove.  The perks are supposed to be no worries of splashing boiling water everywhere ("but you're still using a hot oven") and having no eggs crack in the pot ("but doesnt it cost more to heat the oven?").  The shells were easy to get off and they were tasty so I would probably make them this way again, at least one more time since Baby Girl wasnt here to see it in action!


The second recipe to try was a Chicken Apple Salad Wrap.  I didnt have any wraps so I just scooped the chicken salad onto a bowl of baby greens (a chicken apple salad salad!) 


This was yummy!!!!  I got it from  the Publix FamilyStyle magazine but it must be from an old magazine because there is no link for it on their website so I'll post the recipe instead.

Chicken Apple Salad Wrap

1.5 cups shredded rotisserie chicken (I used two 10 oz cans of chicken)
1 large Granny Smith apple (I used a Gala since that's what I had) chopped (I peeled mine before I chopped it up) (abt 1.5 cups)
1/3 cup dried cranberries (I used a little less than a 1/4 cup)
1 stalk celery (I substituted a 1/4 english cucumber), chopped
1 green onion, sliced
1/3 cup mayo
1/3 cup sour ceram
1 TBS lemon juice (I used 1/2 lemon)
1/8 tsp EACH  salt, pepper and cinnamon

1.  Place chicken in a large bowl.  Add the apple, cranberries, celery and green onion.  Set aside

2.  In a small bowl stir together the mayo, sour cream, lemon juice, salt, cinnamon and pepper.  Add to chicken mixture.  Stir to coat.

3.  Spoon chicken mixture onto tortillas or pita bread and roll or fold up.

Makes 4 servings.

Baby Girl thought it was a bit sweet (probably because of the fruit), but I really liked it.  You could add pineapple instead of the other fruit as well.  So many variations with this.  Definitely a keeper!


I'm on a roll with new recipes, dinner will be pork chops with apples and stuffing.  It looks good, lets hope it tastes good as well!

4 comments:

Dee said...

The chicken salad recipe sounds great.

I love Craisins and chicken salad together.

Linda said...

Glad oven cooked eggs turned. The chicken salad looks yummy. Thanks for the recipe.

Linda

kathy b said...

MMMMM love any chicken salad..yours looks fantastic.

NOt an egg fan...but I do color them

Sandie Knapp said...

First, thank you so much for sharing that recipe. I've been dieting, and that salad will be a wonderful addition to my menu, especially as you served it, over a bed of greens. I can't wait to try it.

I am also surprised to learn you can hard-cook eggs in the oven, but heck, why not? If it worked well, then it sounds good to me. I sometimes do mine in the microwave. I simply cover 4 eggs with water, and set the timer for 6 minutes. That is how long it takes for the water to come to a rolling boil. Then I remove them from the microwave, cover the bowl, and let them sit for 10 minutes, and they are done. Perfect hard-cooked eggs.

I have seen advertisements for the Lion Brand Bon Bon's, but have not seen them myself. I did wonder what I would use them for, but I'm sure there are many things that can be done with them, especially if you are into knit or crochet origami critters.