Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Simple Woman's Daybook



FOR TODAY

Outside my window...
I'm sure a lot of you heard abt the explosion in Central Florida from the Blue Rhino Propane plant.  I am far enough away to be safe but close enough to have heard the explosions!  At first I thought it was thunder and then it sounded more like fireworks going off.  Who knew a propane plant was blowing up???   This morning was hazy from all the left over smoke but by the afternoon it was your typical Florida sunny day.  At least for me.  I doubt it felt *typical* for those affected by the blasts.

I am thinking...that I have a LOT to do in a limited amt of time.  There will be some big changes coming down the pike and I'm having a hard time focusing on all that has to be done. 

I am thankful...I am not sick.  I had mentioned that #1 Son was sick last week.  Well he's better but Baby Girl got something similar over the wknd.  She never got as bad as him but she's definitely not well.  Today is the first day she's wanted food.  Three bites of cereal this morning and some soup this afternoon.  I think she's done eating for the day.  AND the IO threw up this morning!  He's been in bed all day.  Thankfully he never got as bad as #1 Son, but it wears a person out!  I'm bathing in Purel and misting Lysol all around the house!

In the kitchen...I tried out a new recipe by The Pioneer Woman called Chicken Spaghetti.  It turned out really well. It tasted like a mac and cheese with chicken in it.  I modified it a bit, used corkscrew noodles instead of spaghetti, cream of chicken instead of cream of mushroom soup, and I did not include the peppers.  BUT I did add green pepper sauce so we still had the spices but no chunks.  It wasn't a favorite, but it was one they all said would eat again.  It will be added to the rotation when I need to do something different.

I am wearing... pajamas.  I did change into regular clothes when I ran out, but when I got back, I popped right back into the jammies.

I am creating...I did put in three more strands into Too Pooped.  I'm trying to keep at it because I can see the end of this project.  A couple of strands every day (or two) will keep it moving along.

I'm also working on a sock.  Here is the sock I *was* working on.
As you can see I went from a random pattern to a zigzag pattern.  I really didn't like it so I did something I NEVER do.
I ripped it out.  You know it's a bad sign when you already feel that second sock syndrome kicking in when you're not even half way thru with the first sock. 

I restarted with another yarn.
Loving it!  Well, almost.  I love the striping colors, but it is a bit thinner than the beige cuff and it seemed a bit thin on the bottom of the heel.  Plus I'm realizing that I may not have enough to finish the foot.  So I did something that I apparently am starting to do.
I ripped it out again.

I'm nothing if not stubborn so I pulled out yet another complimentary color and did the heel in a soft pink before I add that same yarn in.  I just started the gusset. 

Again. 

I just have one question for myself, with all the full amts of sock yarn I have, why do I insist on knitting in patchwork??

I am going...to put together a schedule that is doable and then just take one day at a time.

I am wondering...if I will follow the rest of the family by getting sick.  Aint nobody got time for that! 

I am reading.. Facebook, news sites and a couple of blogs.  The latest movie is Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day.  I love this movie!  I've watched it twice in the past three days.

I am hoping...for a more focused mind.

I am looking forward to...this wknd!  I'm going to be seeing some old friends and their new grandbaby.  It's a bit weird to meet this new grandson since she is my first peer to have a grandbaby.  My kids are  just entering the teen years and she's playing with her daughter's son!!  He's adorable and cant wait to hold him.  Apparently there is a waiting list to do so too!

I am hearing...  the hum of the a/c and Chopped.  Right now they are trying to make grape jelly beans into something gourmet.  I think it's hysterical how some of these chefs just turn up their nose at such yummy goodness!!!

Around the house...some of the plans we had for the house have been halted.  I still need to thin out the junk and clutter and will be focusing on that. 

I am pondering... the scope of my craft room.  I think I need to pick a craft (quilting, cross stitching, knitting, paints, etc) and just start sorting.

A favorite quote for today...


One of my favorite things... my knitting.  'nuf said

A few plans for the rest of the week: school doesn't start for another 2 weeks but apparently high school band does!  We've got hair cuts scheduled, band meetings to attend, band camp starts.  This will all include shelling out money.  It's one thing to spend money on school events DURING school, now I'm doing it ahead of time!   The wknd includes a convention and seeing old friends. 

A peek into my day...no where near as productive as I wanted and needed to be, so instead I'm focusing on what I DID do.  I fed the kids.  I fed the cats.  I ran the dishwasher.  I made hair appts for myself and #1 Son.  I posted in my blog.  I got a high score on a Facebook game.  Some days this is all I can ask for.
If you want to play along, go here.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to try and get past the gusset on this sock!!

4 comments:

Dee said...

Crazy how that sock changed pattern in the middle of knitting.

Sandie Lynne said...

Thank goodness at least one of you IS well, instead of sick. I hope everyone recovers quickly and that you escape altogether. What a nightmare!

Personally, I commend you for frogging when you are not pleased with how the yarn is working. I do the same thing, all the time. I'm too fussy to put up with it if it's looking bad to me. You will be much happier with your finished socks by making them exactly the way you want them, even if it does mean starting over more than once.

I do hope you have a good day. :)

Linda said...

You are so funny Lynn. I'm glad that I'm not the only one that rips or frogs things. Great daybook.
Sending happy thoughts that everything gets healthy.

Linda

kathy b said...

Stay in the IMMUNITY zone amid all those germs!

I watched the same CHOPPED jelly bean show... I dont like the show buy the men around here do...

I LOVE your colorway sock. It is entertaining to do colorway socks...I think My next pair will have to be ...
great idea thanks