Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Simple Woman's Daybook



FOR TODAY

Outside my window...
  it's a lovely sunny day today.  According to Weather Underground it's 85 degrees.  Sunny and warm.  Sounds nice, except for the 95 degree heat index!  The nights are cooling off ever. so. slightly, but the days still feel like the center of the sun.

I am thinking...about different parenting styles.  We all want the best for our kids and I truly believe most parents do the best they can for their children.  However I don't think it's a great idea to call a parent out in front of their kid.  Case in point.  My daughter is 11 years old.  While she may look and act older, she is still 11.  She is not allowed to date.  I don't think this is being unreasonable.  SHE IS ELEVEN!  She has a friend who has been allowed to date since she was nine.  Her other friend will be allowed to date when she is 12 (in two months).  And when I say date I mean being dropped off at the movies or mall by themselves or getting  alone time to hold hands and kiss.  These are decisions that are being made by their parents, and while I don't agree with them, I respect the fact that this is their family rule. Unfortunately this is not always reciprocated.   A parent asked Baby Girl when she would be allowed to date, and  she said when she's old enough to get married.  (according to the IO this wont be until she's 30, but I digress).  She looked at Baby Girl with horror and said, "You poor thing."  Apparently wanting to wait for your daughter to date until she's a little older qualifies as child abuse.

Meanwhile I have another friend who is just now allowing her son to use the restroom alone.  He is 16 and looks 25.  Again different rules for different families.

I am thankful...for good kids.  They *seem* well adjusted, but I still have a therapy fund set up for both of them.   You know, just in case....

In the kitchen...  I tried a new marinade for some rib eye I got on sale last week, and while it was good (1/2 cup bbq sauce, 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar), I still like my rib eye marinade free.  I have NO idea what dinner will be the rest of the week.  I need to go food shopping (probably tomorrow) which means I need to come up with some kind of a plan.......

I am wearing... big blue t-shirt and beige shorts

I am creating...I am almost done with the charity afghan, I added one or two more strands in my Too Pooped kitty, and I'm trying to get all my items set up for a Magic Yarn Ball swap I'm in.  For those of you who don't know what this is, you basically roll up some yarn into a ball while adding little goodies to the ball as you go!  You can add stitch markers or other notions, snacks, a pattern, etc.  I'll post a pic of my magic ball once the recipient receives it.

I am going...to get some Chinese food for lunch today.   I'm in the mood for some pork fried rice.

I am wondering...what kind of lives and experiences Baby Girl's friends will have by the time they are 16.  Same holds true for #1 Son. 

I am reading...I'm revisiting some of  the authors of my youth.  I have abt 4 or 5 books by Judy Blume in the back of my van.  First one up is Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing.  She has a couple of new books I've never read that are added to the pile.  After I finish Judy Blume I will move on to a couple of books that were my favorites growing up.  Encyclopedia Brown, Mrs Piggle Wiggle, My Darling My Hamburger.  I'm interested in seeing my take on them now.

I am hoping...to get to the Epcot Food and Wine Festival this year.  It starts in a couple of weeks, but I will wait until the weather cools down a bit more before I go.

I am looking forward to...the wknd.  It should be a quiet one.

I am hearing.....nothing and it's lovely!!  While I love going out with friends and having ppl over, I really enjoy my quiet time.

Around the house...HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!  

I am pondering...the length of time I will get before I will need to replace my drain field.

A favorite quote for today...




 One of my favorite things... coffee.  I prefer Starbucks, but I'm pleasantly surprised by the Publix house blend......

A few plans for the rest of the week:  I will be picking up band uniforms to hem for next week's game.  I think they told me I would get abt five to work on.  Hopefully they wont be too involved.  I am also helping out at the Book Fair, counting money for the  band fund raiser, and chaperoning for the away game on Friday.  Yes you can tell school  is in session!!

A peek into my day...  I've been up since 6:30am, got both kids off to school, went back to the middle school for Baby Girl since she left home both her reading book AND her music book (it may be Tues on the calendar but it's a Monday in every sense of the word!)  Got two loads of laundry done, phone calls made and I'm trying to motivate myself to either clean the kitchen or get a list together for grocery shopping.  And it's not even noon yet!!!  I'm still waiting for those bored-out-of-my-mind days of being a stay at home mom........

Then again I'm thinking of joining Hemi,  he's got the right idea!!


If you want to play, go here.

9 comments:

thepersonnexttoyou said...

WOW about the dating stuff. 9???? I cannot imagine my 9 year old at the movies with a girl, holding hands and kissing.

Different strokes, I guess...

Joyful Reader said...

I loved the rules for dating my son! I actually laughted out loud. I have seen these kinds of things about dating my daughter but this is too good! I just haven't really thought about my son dating yet...he is 15 I guess I should be! Enjoyed stopping by!

Dee said...

Wow! I agree with Amanda -- 9 is WAY too young.

Stick to your guns. I'm guessing your kids will be much more well adjusted.

Linda said...

I can't believe that a parent would let a 9 year old date. That's just plain stupid. And they wonder why so many young kids are becoming parents.

Thanks for the Hemi fix, even if it is his backside. lol


Linda

David and Donna said...

Wow.... 9 and dating. Not in my house. Stick to your guns you know what is best for your children. I really don't buy into the whole "dating" things for kids. I think that needs to be saved for college--- but like you said different rules for different families.

Sandra Knapp said...

I was not allowed to date until I was 18, and it didn't kill me. I was a little more lenient, allowing my daughter to date at 14. As for dating at age 9, never! That is way too young, and just asking for trouble!

I'd like to curl up with Hemi too. He seems to know the best places for curling up and getting comfy. :)

Dianna said...

I enjoyed stopping by here today. I love your openness and your love of family and home!

kathy b said...

THe THERAPY fund for your kids is hysterical!!

I love your daybook entries.
BTW, I tried the worlds best baked chicken recipe and none of us like it. You put mustard, maple syrup and re wine vinegar atop chicken in the over...
yuck.

Vivian said...

Yikes on the dating part! My 14yo just started hanging out with big group of friends (boys and girls). We have our first football game tonight, band won't be in uniform but it'd be their first official performance in front of a big crowd.