Friday, January 17, 2014

Simple Woman's Daybook - Friday's Edition



FOR TODAY

Outside my window... right now it's dark because it's almost 10pm.  It's been cold because we've had back to back cold fronts come thru.  Yesterday we never got out of the 50s and we've had frost warnings as well.  I was asleep but the IO took #1 Son to school today and there was THICK frost on the windshield.  He thought he could get rid of it by spraying it with window washer fluid.  It got thicker (this is the same man who was born and raised in NY).  I think we hit 60 today but I'm not sure.  We're back in the 50s tomorrow.  Not complaining because I'm going to enjoy the cold for as long as I can, but the weather is definitely affecting my incision.  It makes it ache a bit more.

 
I am thinking... of ordering some sock yarn from Simply Sock Yarn Company, more specifically this.  I have no Trekking in my stash and I really want to try it.  I esp like the color in the link.  I'm still debating it.......
 
I am thankful... that I am feeling better.  Each day I feel a bit better and I'm happy for that.  I did have somebody tell me that I should be much better by now, but it was a guy and I shot him down FAST!!  Got a bit graphic to give him the full taste of what I'd been thru and needless to say he was surprised I was vertical!!!  Gotta love men when you start naming lady parts!!!
 
In the kitchen... I made some soup in the crock pot today.  It's a sausage potato soup that's supposed to be a knockoff of Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana.  It came out really good, but next time I'll only add half the sausage.  It was really tasty but the sausage was a bit overwhelming.  I may add more potatoes too.  It could be a bit thicker in consistency, but not by much.  I have no link to it since it was one of those things that's forwarded to death on Facebook but here is a copy of what I got.  I have no idea who to credit since there was no link in the post.
 
 
 
Zuppa Toscana (better than Olive Garden!) 1 lb. Italian sausages (use spicy to get that signature Olive Garden flavor)(I used ground sweet sausage and added in some red pepper flakes when I browned it up) 
4-6 russet potatoes (I used 6 but would probably add 2 more),
chopped 1 onion,
ch...opped 1/4 c. REAL bacon pieces (optional)(didn't use) 
2 Tbsp minced garlic (about 3-4 cloves)
32 oz. chicken broth
1 c. kale or Swiss chard, chopped (didn't use this either because my store was out of it!  No bundles and no bagged.  The guy said he just ran out.  They've been going thru kale quite a bit recently.  I figure between it being very healthy and it being the new year, it would go quick.) 
1 c. heavy whipping cream
2 Tbsp flour
 
1. Brown sausage links in a sauté pan.
2. Cut links in half lengthwise, then cut slices.
3. Place sausage, chicken broth, garlic, potatoes and onion in slow cooker. Add just enough water to cover the vegetables and meat.
4. Cook on high 3-4 hours (low 5-6 hours) until potatoes are soft. 30 minutes before serving:
5. Mix flour into cream removing lumps.
6. Add cream and kale to the crock pot, stir.
7. Cook on high 30 minutes or until broth thickens slightly.
8. Add salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste.

I am wearing... a LOT!  Blue t-shirt, blue sweat pants (slung below my belly since I still cant have anything on it yet), hand knit ankle socks (my full cuff ones need to be washed) and a heavy cotton long sleeved shirt.  I've been cold and am having a hard time getting warm.
 
 
I am creating... I'm trying to finish that grey sock and I have no desire to work on it.  I want to start a bright and fun colored sock which is making it that much slower and the reason why I want to buy that Trekking.  Solids are hard for me to knit on for long periods of time.  I can knit and knit and knit but the yarn has to be fun and interesting.
 
I am going... nowhere!  Well that's not true.  I've been running the kids to Target for this and to the mall for that.  In between that I'm stopping off at Publix to get food for dinner.  I dropped over $100 yesterday for not a lot of stuff.  I hate when that happens!!  However there were snacks to be bought and paper products to buy and some frozen dinners/pizza to stock up on. 
 
I am wondering... when my taste buds will go back to *normal*.  I have no desire for coffee (well sometimes I do but not enough to make a pot), I have no desire for soda (other than the occasional Coke).  Last night I was debating do I want a salad or an apple for my midnight snack (the apple won but then I did have a few Tostito chips, just not half the bag).  I'm no longer craving chocolate (it tastes weird to me).  I will have the occasional pudding pack of chocolate and vanilla swirled.  We've had friends drop off donuts and cookies and cupcakes.  I never had any other than a bite.  Who am I?!?!  In the past if I wasn't drinking coffee I was drinking Diet Coke.  I would have chocolate twice a day.  My midnight snacks used to consist of popcorn and then something sweet.  Like a pint of Haagan Daz coffee icecream.  Instead I'm called a friend for her recipe for collard greens.  It's very weird for me.  I poured a small glass of Diet Coke with dinner but I still have half left (I needed a break from water which is all I seem to drink these days).  I'm not complaining and I'm going to ride this train as long as I can because I know it wont last, but if I can break some bad habits so that I can lose some weight, I want to try. 
 
I am reading... today I got caught up on some blogs.  If you posted in the past 5 days, chances are I read it.  If not, I'm hoping to catch you the next time around.
 
I am hoping... for a calmer 2014.
 
I am looking forward to... March when everything should be healed and back to normal.  I keep using that term *normal* which is kind of funny since normal is such a relative word.  Plus I've never really been normal so why am I looking for it now?!?
 
I am hearing.... at this moment, nothing.  I have the tv paused on the movie It's Complicated.  Its becoming my movie of choice lately.  Something that's funny but not something I have to pay attention to.  It was either this one or Something's Gotta Give with Diane Keaton and Jack Nicholson.  Meryl and Alec win out tonight.
 
Around the house... ah yes around the house.  The kitchen isn't as bad as it could be.  The living room is a mess.  My bedroom is too.  I keep trying to go thru paperwork but my piles keep falling off the bed from either kids or cats.  I'm hoping to tackle that tomorrow. 
 
 
I am pondering... what my kids have to deal with while in middle and high school.  Stuff that I didn't have to deal with until I was a senior is already touching Baby Girl at the beginning of middle school.  Both kids have had friends who have cut themselves.  Baby Girl is starting to see the wisdom of waiting until she is a bit older to date (the DRAMA involved with kids who are SO not ready to date is unbelieveable!)  I pray for them everyday and I try to get them to talk abt their school friends as much as possible.  This is easy with Baby Girl.  Not as easy with #1 Son.
 
 
A favorite quote for today...
 

 
One of my favorite things  AKA Hemi's Corner...
While this is a HORRID picture of me, it shows how Hemi has been since my surgery. 
 

I really don't understand why I post horrible pictures of me.  Most ppl would have deleted the above, and yet here I am putting it out there, never to be deleted!  I guess it's just because it's so true to my life.  My life right now is messy and tiring and recouperating.  I'd rather that then the alternative.

A few plans for the rest of the week: Since I'm posting this on Friday instead of my usual Tues I don't have much planned.  There is no school on Monday so it will most likely be a quiet wknd.  I think everybody is ready for that!!
 
A peek into my day... I had a nice picture of my sky that I took earlier today (even though Baby Girl commented that it wasn't Saturday yet) but my phone froze up and I lost it.  So I'll post this instead.
 
Hemi sitting next to me for his afternoon bath,
 
Hope everybody has a great wknd!  And if you want to play, go here.

6 comments:

Linda said...

Oh Lynn. That is a great picture of you Hemi. So nice to put a fact to the name. Glad to hear that you are feeeling better. Love Hemi's bath pic.

Linda

Sandra Knapp said...

Even I can understand why grey socks would be boring compared to using that yarn you chose on Simply Sock Yarn. Me, I've never used Madelintosh yarn, but I've read a lot of good things about it, so now I'm curious and would like to try some. When, I have no idea.

As to that photo of you and Hemi. Personally, I think it's gorgeous! A wonderful photo of you being yourself, with such a lovely smile on your face. I found it very lovely indeed. Obviously Hemi finds you lovely and loving too. My Rosie sleeps in the exact same spot on my chest, daily. Sometimes she climbs up there when I'm here on the computer. Every day she is there when I'm in the recliner, trying to read or knit. She is telling me that she is more important than anything else I might want to do. And every night as I go to bed, there she is too. I have a feeling that Hemi is trying to convince you of the same thing. :)

Take care and I hope your healing progress continues to improve daily. :)

kathy b said...

that picture is so HAPPY!!! I LOVE your eyes and your hair! NOThing to apologize for at alL!~!

You are recovering wonderfully LYnn!!!!!!
As for your tastes changing, mine did with each hormonal storm of a pregnancy….I tasted metal for weeks. THen , my love of pastries returned and coke and coffee. Don't pressure yourself about anything…..your body is healing.

Keep talking to your kids, keep praying to a God that loves them even more than you can!

Order that sock yarn lady! YOU deserve it

Zonda said...

Another vote for ordering the sock yarn. You deserve it! So glad you are feeling better too!!

Melissa said...

I love the color of the sock yarn! I say go for it (of course I have enough yarn for 30 pairs of socks and hardly ever get around to making socks, lol). You are looking good and I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better!

Lifesastitch said...

Just catching up. Glad to hear you are feeling better. What an ordeal!