Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The Simple Woman's Daybook

FOR TODAY

Outside my window... right now it's very overcast and threatening to rain.  I'm hoping it does since I never got out to water my plants today.  It's almost 5pm and the temps are 89 with a heat index of 98.  This morning was the first morning in MONTHS where it was warm and humid when I left the house early this AM.  This does not amuse me.

I am thinking... that I need to keep working on the piles of stuff around the house. 

I am thankful... for the quiet time that I try to carve out in the day.  It helps to keep me sane.

In the kitchen...I'm trying to keep our food bill low so I'm making a conscious effort to shop sales and ONLY buy food we need for the week.  It's always good in theory, but we blow thru food so quickly it's hard to keep the teenagers full.  However it does force me to have a meal plan for the week.  Yesterday was spaghetti and meatballs, today I am roasting a chicken (I'm ALWAYS roasting a chicken!!) with leftover spaghetti sauce in the cavity.  I'm probably going to add pasta and carrots.  I was going to add a salad, but I'm already out of lettuce!!  I've also got The Pioneer Woman's Peach Whiskey Chicken on the list, with mac and cheese and  hot dogs tomorrow and some beef stew to round out the week. 
 
I also found some bacon in the back of the fridge that I baked in the oven.  This is the second time I've made it this way and I learn something each time I do.  The first time the ends got VERY crispy while the middle was barely done.  I was told to put it in the oven BEFORE I turn it on and leave it in for 15-20 min (like the link said).  I ended up having to put it back in for 5 more min for it to finish cooking.  This time  I did center the rack and that helped out a LOT!  Everything cooked more evenly. 

I am wearing... a big blue tshirt and tan shorts.

I am creating... I finished my felted cat bed (which I may or may not have previously mentioned) and I started a kid's size 6 charity vest.  I haven't done one of these in a long time and it's a great way to use up some of my wool.  I'll post more details tomorrow.

I am going... to try and get a list together for errands tomorrow.  I need to return some items and I want to get a book from the library.  If not tomorrow, then Thursday.

I am wondering... if I should find a part time job.  High school is expensive!

I am reading... blogs.  In fact I have 20 tabs open while I type....

I am hoping... to tackle the mail that is piled next to me.  I just REALLY don't want to......

I am looking forward to... a summer road trip and seeing nieces and nephews.

I am hearing...  Baby Girl making soup, the bathroom fan, some distant thunder (maybe we will get some rain after all)

Around the house... I decided to clean out part of the garage today.  I threw out a LOT of stuff and I organized some boxes of fabric that I will need to go thru later on.  I need to get honest with what I have, but I just cant seem to do it.  Most of what I have I still really love, but since I haven't made a quilt or an item of clothing in YEARS, I'm wondering why I still have it.  I may have to get brutal.....

I am pondering... if I really can be brutal with myself...... it's going to force me to either get rid of it or USE it!  Maybe if I try to make a skirt that will motivate me in one way or another....

A favorite quote for today... just because it makes me smile....
 
 

One of my favorite things  aka Hemi's Corner.....
My view of him on the van while I'm cleaning out the back.
 

A few plans for the rest of the week:  It's the beginning of the busy season here at Casa Del Rio.  We've got two band trips later this week, one of which requires us to arrive at 6:30am.  I'm checking my coffee supply now.....

A peek into my day... I almost wasn't going to post today.  I woke up with a slight headache that started to go away but then I got a phone call from a family member who needed to vent.  Those calls are exhausting so my headache came back full swing.  What's helped the headache the most is the fact that it's quiet and cloudy and I cranked the a/c up in my bedroom to cool down.  It's pretty much gone, but I am tired.

5 comments:

Dee said...

Your meals sound delicious! I am trying SO hard to get some sort of menu planning going on. It's just that I don't really enjoy it so I procastinate on it. But, we throw out SO much, especially vegetables.

I need a PLAN! LOL

Linda said...

Sounds like busy times Lynn. Love the pic of Hemi and the other one made me smile. Thanks.

Linda

Sandra Knapp said...

We are being hit by a lot of fog and rain, but lucky that is the worst of it. At least it's not tornadoes and floods, or whatever. But it's also only 42ºF, and with the rain, you have that dampness that seeps into the bones. Hate that! :)

Have a good day.

kathy b said...

Im fighting a headache today too. Very odd for me to have a headache….

I want to see your charity vest for sure!

Hemi ALWAYS makes me smile

Angie said...

I need to start meal planning again desperately. When I don't we end up spending double the money we normally would.