Sunday, October 12, 2014

What Happened to Fall??

We had a BEAUTIFUL day last week, highs were only in the high 70s or low 80s.  Yesterday we hit 90.  I think we hit 90 again today.  Another front goes thru on Wednesday so we'll be back into the 80s.  Still warm but not center-of-the-sun hot.  I'll take it.

Yesterday's sky was beautiful, but I never took a picture.  I went into town to get a shot over the lake but apparently there was a folk festival going on and I couldn't find any parking close by.   #1 Son and I just got back from a neighboring town to see a friend of his.  She is self published and the local library was hosting a Young Adult genre book signing event.  There were around 12 local authors there.  Very cool to be selling books at 17.



While we were there we took in some geocaching, antiquing and lunch.
I'm happy he still will each lunch with me.  That face of his is reflective of me trying to use technology.


The scary thing abt antiquing?  I remember it all!!!  THAT is a bit strange.  Either I've had it, seen it or know what it is.  I laugh when I point out McDonald's glasses we had or dinnerware or furniture.   However I do draw the line at 80s merchandise.  That is less than 40 years ago and does NOT qualify as antique!!!  We also hit some thrift stores along the way.  My son has a quirky personality and he loves all the cool stuff in these stores. 

Of course it's been another non stop week of not one but TWO girls' nights out.  A friend of ours has been considering moving and she got the word to go.  She leaves in 3 weeks which doesn't leave us much time to plan anything so we just had a small group meet at Starbucks to say our goodbyes.  They aren't officially gone yet but there is just no time left for anything more.

Bye Christine, we'll miss you!

I love that I'm playing hard as well as working hard but OMG am I tired!!!!  I laid down last week around 5pm just to rest and the next thing I know it's 9pm.  I did the same thing yesterday after we got back from our outing.  We played hooky today and cancelled what we had planned because there was no way I was leaving the house.  I really don't know how some people do it. 

Next week is no different.  Band practices have been ramped up for #1 Son while Baby Girl had one of her steel drum practices cancelled.  Oh did I mention she is in Drama club now??  I have sticky notes all over my calendar just to keep track of which kid is where and what time I have to get them. 

I also have a dr's appt set up on Wed to check out my foot.  It is better, but I still can't walk barefooted on it.  It should be dried up by now and it is not.  I will spare you the rest of the details.

Meanwhile I have three loads of laundry on the floor in my bedroom that need to be folded and put away.  Right now everybody is doing the hunt for your own underwear dance.  I have a dwindling pantry since I need to grocery shop and I have no idea how our power is still on since I am very late in paying it. 

All is not lost, however.  I went thru another box from the garage that was mostly clothes.  A couple of things Baby Girl still wants, but the rest will go to Goodwill tomorrow.  One bag out and one laundry basket free!!  I think we'll be seeing a bit more of that now that I have decided not to have a yard sale.  I have probably enough to make $60 and while this is money that I can use, it is NOT worth the time and energy and brain power it will require to set it all up and then tear it all down.  It will be donated instead. 

If you've made it this far, thank you!  I've rambled on a bit (or a lot depending on your definition) and appreciate all your comments.  I have no knitting to share so we'll just stick to what works. Cute kittens in baskets.

No he's not mine, he is my friend's new kitten Sabien.  He is ADORABLE!!


8 comments:

Angie said...

Your days sound jam packed like man. It's a juggling act but so worth it! I totally agree with you on Yard Sales. I haven't had any recently just because it's so much time and energy for very little cash. I've just been donating too.

Dee said...

I've never had much luck with yard sales, but then I've never had the big stuff that catches people's eyes.

Good luck with the dr. Hope you get good news.

Linda said...

Reading how busy you are makes me just plain tired. I just went through the closets and am taking at least a hundred tops to Hospice. I have been saving them for the last 40 years thinking someday I might shrink back into them. lol

Linda

kathy b said...

New kitty~~~ so cute.

It is very hard to work and raise the kids. I admire your strength. I agree that donating the clothes is as efficient and beneficial to the donor as selling at a garage sale.

CJ said...

Adorable kitten indeed. And how amazing to have a published book at 17, I'm wishing her a bright and shining future. It sounds like you've been having a really good time, but I can see why you're tired. And I totally understand the sticky notes and trying to remember where everyone is supposed to be and when! CJ xx

Sandra Knapp said...

With such a busy life, it's no wonder you are tired. Glad to see all is going well, just the same. :)

stitcherw said...

Sorry your foot isn't all better yet, hopefully the doctor was able to give you something for it to help it heal a bit quicker. How cool for your son's friend to have her own book out, she must be so proud, that's quite an accomplishment. She must have been so excited to be invited to the book signing.

I rarely do yard sales anymore either. While I can make so money, it is so hit or miss on how well you do, if the weather decides to cooperate, and there is so much work involved that for me it makes more sense just to donate it and write it off on my taxes when I itemize. Might not make as much, but so much less hassle. Thanks for the cute kitty picture, Sabien is adorable, the pic of him in the basket really made me smile.

Lifesastitch said...

Yay geocaching! It's been so rainy here I haven't been able to get outside with my new GPS.