Sunday, October 04, 2015

Redirecting, Refocusing and Reorganizing

It is October.  September is in the books and I'm SO happy it's over!

Where we live is no longer in question.  We are staying put.  There are few rentals in our area and it's amazing what people will try to pass off as a rental.  I have been looking at rentals since mid August.  The good ones get snatched up in a matter of days.  There was one that I was scheduled to look at when I got an email that the showing was cancelled, it had been rented.  WHA?!?!  It wasnt even on the market yet!  However somebody put in an application with only the pictures on the website to go by.  I won't do that.  No one takes pics of the water leaks or wonky stove or grow house.  (Why yes we DID look at a place with a grow house!  The attic was converted by previous renters who grew weed in it.  Hence the water damage.)

There was only one house I really liked;  screened in porch, fire pit, down the street from the school, newly renovated inside and plenty of space for us all.  However I am finding it is harder to get approved for a rental than a mortgage and we didnt qualify.

C'est la vie.

We are paying more than we want to, but we have a house and we know where we are going to live for the next year or so.  That is huge.

Now it's time to refocus on making this house more of a home.  I had surgery soon after we moved in and once I had recovered I went to work.  When I left in May we were leaving soon so why bother?  Now that I know I'm going to be here I plan on starting up another garden (perfect time to start too, Florida has a backward growing season), hang up some pictures, put down a few throw rugs.  I still plan on downsizing and with the cooler weather I can tackle the garage very soon.

Since we decided to stay, we're having some maintenance done.

1.  Leaky fridge fixed - check

2.  Bathroom exhaust fan replaced - check

3.  Non flushing toilet repaired - check (small piece of plastic broke off and lodged in an important area.  Flushes like a champ now!)

4.  A/C fixed - in the process.  The coils need to be cleaned, which will be expensive.  The property management needs approval before they can start.  I will be calling soon on the status.

5.  Microwave replaced - also in process.  The handle broke off months ago and we've just been dealing with it.  When I called to have it fixed, they told me it was my responsibility.  Huh?  I had to call a supervisor to get it approved.  If the handle to the fridge or oven or dishwasher breaks, they fix it.  How is a microwave different?  Plus it was manufactured in 2006.  We are getting a new one this week.

The Property Management is one of the reasons we wanted to move.  They will fix it, but it is a fight to get it done.

Now that I know where I'm going to live, I can refocus on more important things.  Like crafting!!  I got to meet up with Dee last week.  It was SO nice meeting up with her again.  I really want to do that more often.  If you havent yet, go to her blog and look at her new kitty.  He's adorable!!!

And I know adorable!

My sweater was at a point where I needed to pay attention to decreases and bind offs so I brought some cross stitch to work on.  I stopped at a good place in the project and will blog on that tomorrow.  

Distraction by Saturday Sky


Today I finished off the back of the sweater.


The angle is off a bit, but the sweater is the length of a coat.



I'm really happy the back is done and I'm excited to start the front, but it includes a cable edging which means I need to pay attention.  That makes me a little scared.....

Here's to a fantastic October!!

3 comments:

Linda said...

The sweater looks great Lynn. Glad you've decided to stay put.

Linda

Angie said...

I'd imagine the decision to stay put has took off a lot of stress and uncertainty. Hope you have a nice calm October!

Dee said...

It was so nice getting together with YOU TOO! I've missed that.

Oh that Hemi ......there is nothing cuter than a ginger kitty!

Hope all is going well. Sounds like the house is coming along nicely.